Is it time for the NFL’s Washington Redskins to change their name?
A Native American organization says yes, and has mounted an aggressive marketing campaign to see it happen.
Let’s look at five key aspects to this story:
- Derogatory Term. It’s not hard to understand that a National Football League team called the “Redskins” is offensive to Native Americans.
- Incredible Commissioner. The NFL commissioner’s letter to Congress suspends reality.
- Strong Marketing. The advertising campaign is clever.
- Insensitive Owner. The team’s owner ought to be more diplomatic in his public comments.
- Brand Management Implications. The name has been used for 80 years, but is it a good brand management decision going forward?